DHARAMSHALA: The Tibet Museum of Department of Information and International Relations (DIIR) held a photo exhibition today to coincide with the golden jubillee celebration of Dharamashala Tibetan settlement office.
The exhibition titled “Reimagining Dharamshala” was inaugurated by Acharya Yeshi Phuntsok, Deputy Sepaker of Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile. Over a hundred people attended the inaugural session of the exhibition including members of the Tibetan Parliament, President and members of the Tibetan Freedom Movement, President of the Tibetan Women’s Association, and present and former Tibetan settlement officers also graced the event.
The exhibition “Reimagining Dharamshala” depicts the history of Dharamshala, founded by the Bristish in 1846 after the occupation of the Kangra Fort. The exhibition also consisted of pictures dating back to the first arrival of His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Dharamsala and many more.
It was described in the exhibition that Tibetans look upon Dharamshala with reverence as it is the seat of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and they refer fondly to it as “Dhasa” evoking Lhasa, the capital of Tibet. Dharamsahala became a shelter for exiled Tibetans. Today, well into their sixth decade of refuge here, Tibetans live co-operatively with local Indians and their bond of friendship and brotherhood has continued to strengthen over the years.